Many Americans suffer from too much stomach acid. There are many products on the over-the-counter market to alleviate the symptoms, such as Tums etc. But is that the best way to go? There are better ways to deal with this problem, I believe. Below I will suggest some things you can to do.
1) Drink lots of water. Water is a universal solvent. It dilutes the acid so that it can be flushed from the body.
2) Eat more alkaline foods. All meats are acid forming. All dairy products are acid forming. Some fruits are acid. Caffeine drinks (coffee, teas, colas etc.) are acidic. All vegetables are alkaline forming, particularly in their raw state. To overcome an acid problem, make sure your diet is approximately 80% alkaline foods and 20% acid foods.
3) Don't over exercise. Strenuous exercise for long periods of time cause lactic acid to build up in the body. Immediately after exercising drink lots of water to flush the acid out.
4) For immediate help with stomach acid, take one teaspoon of baking soda in about four ounces of water. Stir until it is almost clear and drink it. Depending on how severe the acid or heart burn is, you may need to repeat it in about an hour or so.
5) Examine your thought life. Negative thoughts cause the body to become more acidic. Think on good, positive things and you will be at less risk for stomach acid. Controlling your emotions helps also!